INGREDIENTS FOR FILLING:
- 4 cups sliced tart apples, such as Granny Smiths
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries (if using frozen berries, do not thaw)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter (1 cube)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or allspice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine apples, berries and sugar. Place into a 9 x 13-inch pan.
In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, oats, walnuts, butter and cinnamon and blend together. Sprinkle over top of fruit.
Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 1 hour, or until top is brown.
SERVINGS: 12 - 15
(From "Portland’s Palate... A Collection of Recipes from the City of Roses")